Those who hold license as a Clinical Laboratory Director from the NYS Dept. of Health, Doctor of Medicine or Dental Surgery (DDS), graduate (master or doctoral) degree or an undergraduate (bachelor) degree plus two years of experience (post-baccalaureate) in the operation of chemical laboratories may be eligible to receive a certificate of fitness without reporting to the Bureau of Fire Prevention (Brooklyn) for an exam.
You must also have:
- a degree in the following: chemistry, biology, biochemistry, environmental or health sciences, medical technology and chemical, environmental, mechanical or biomedical engineering, or related field.
- a working knowledge of the English language.
- a minimum age of 18
- the designated lab work experience for a specific degree
To be eligible, apart from the above qualifications you must sit for a two-hour course offered by Environmental Health and Safety. The first half hour will be a review of the materials. You will then be administered an exam. Successful completion of the exam with a grade of 70% or better will enable you to submit your completed documents for notarization. Your picture will also be taken at this time. You will be contacted by EHS when your certificate arrives.
Following are all the necessary forms, study materials and practice exam.
Fill Out and Bring to Class
- WCMC C-14 Certificate of Fitness Alternate Issuance Application (complete prior to class [requires supervisor's signature])
- FDNY Certification of Fitness Employee Affirmation Form(required by the FDNY for all certificate of fitness applicants)
- a copy of your diploma or degree (with notarized translation if non-English language)
- a check or money order for $25.62 payable to Weill Cornell Medical College (no cash). If needed, money orders are available at the US Post Office (70th between 2nd and 3rd).