Miscellaneous Waste

How do I dispose of broken glass?

Broken glass that is not contaminated with a biological, chemical or radiological agents should be placed in a rigid cardboard container designed for broken glass which incorporates a thick polypropylene liner to safely contain broken glass. These "broken glass" containers are available from common laboratory supply companies such as VWR and Fisher Scientific. Once full, seal the container with tape and leave for disposal with other normal trash. If the glass is contaminated with a biological agent, dispose of the glass in a sharps container. If the glass is contaminated with a chemical agent request a collection from EHS. If the glass is contaminated with a radiological agent, contact Medical Health Physics (MHP) at mhp@med.cornell.edu for disposal.


How do I get rid of old electronics (e.g. computers)?

Electronics may contain hazardous components (e.g. lead). Therefore, all electronics must be separated from the general trash and placed into a designated area under the direct control of the generator (no hallway storage) for collection by Engineering and Maintenance. Electronics are then sent off-site for recycling. All electronics must be clearly labeled with a dated, removable sign ìto be recycled.î Request a collection by contacting Engineering and Maintenance: http://maintenanceexpress.med.cornell.edu. Environmental Health and Safety will pay for the recycling cost. However, departments must cover Engineering and Maintenance charges to move equipment to the storage facility. See the PDF icon Surplus Electronics Recycling EHS update for more information.

Weill Cornell Medicine Environmental Health and Safety 402 East 67th Street
Room LA-0020
New York, NY 10065 Phone: (646) 962-7233 Fax: (646) 962-0288

Contact Us

Go to the staff directory for individual contacts within EHS. You may also use the Weill Cornell Medicine online directory to search for faculty and staff.

Create an EHS Incident