The import and export of chemical, biological and radioactive material may require additional permitting, to ensure that shipments clear customs in a proper and timely manner. Example U.S. regulatory agencies requiring permits may include:

Permits Chart

Tools are available on some regulatory websites to aid in deciding if a permit is required:

  • CDC IPP Do I need a permit?
  • USDA/APHIS Do I need a permit?
    • See sections "What's New?", "Do I need an OV permit?", and "VS-regulated livestock and poultry pathogens", "Guidelines for No Import Permit Required", and "Guideline 1125: Guideline for No Interstate Transport Permit Required". 

The permit requirements and process can be confusing but EHS Biosafety can help. Contact EHS for additional assistance. 

Related Link

Contact Us

Go to the staff directory for individual contacts within EHS. You may also use the Weill Cornell Medicine online directory to search for faculty and staff.

Create an EHS Incident


Weill Cornell Medicine Environmental Health and Safety 402 East 67th Street
Room LA-0020
New York, NY 10065 Phone: (646) 962-7233 Fax: (646) 962-0288