Asbestos, Lead & Mold

Asbestos is a natural mineral fiber that was used in fireproofing, and building materials such as insulation and floor tiles. Asbestos is only hazardous when it is disturbed in a way that causes it to become airborne. In order to protect the community, EHS maintains an asbestos management program and oversees all work that involves the disturbance of asbestos-containing materials, to assure that it is done safely and in compliance with local, state and federal regulations. For additional information about asbestos at WCMC, please see the Asbestos Management Program Manual.

Lead is a toxic metal that was used for many years in paint and other products. Deteriorating lead-based paint can present a hazard to anyone who may inhale or ingest lead dust. In order to protect the WCMC community, the Lead Protection Program Manual has been established to outline the types of lead-dust generating activities that may occur at the college, the applicable methods for protection, and the responsibilities of the different personnel involved.

While mold is naturally occurring in the environment, excessive mold growth (e.g., fungal amplifications) in indoor spaces can cause structural and property damage, as well as lead to allergic reactions and other adverse health effects in building occupants. In order to prevent excessive mold growth, EHS provides guidance for PDF icon responding to water damage and preventing mold growth.

Contact Us

Go to the staff directory for individual contacts within EHS. You may also use the Weill Cornell Medicine online directory to search for faculty and staff.

Create an EHS Incident


Weill Cornell Medicine Environmental Health and Safety 402 East 67th Street
Room LA-0020
New York, NY 10065 Phone: (646) 962-7233 Fax: (646) 962-0288