Radiation safety services revolve around enforcing and maintaining the safest possible environment with regards to the use of radioactivity for clinical and research applications at Weill Cornell Medical College and NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. Radiation Safety at WCMC and NYP is overseen and administered by WCMC Environmental Health and Safety (EHS).
EHS provides the following radiation safety services for WCMC and NYP:
- General Radiation Safety
- enforcement and supervision of the safe use, storage and disposal of radioactive materials in all clinical and research applications
- radiation education and training for students, clinicians and scientists
- leakage tests for sealed sources
- survey meter maintenance and calibration (not including dose rate meters).
- access to and maintenance of Beta and Gamma sample-counting equipment, as well as an iodination core facility.
- Diagnostic Imaging Quality Assurance - routine tests to ensure optimal, accurate and safe operation of all diagnostic imaging equipment
- Ordering, receipt and distribution of all radioactive materials within the Central Isotope Laboratory
Environmental Health and Safety